The key roles of the Executive Director are to lead, manage, and inspire staff, principal investigators, partners, and board members to collectively sustain and improve a regional ocean observing system that is responsive to the information needs of the Northeast.
The Executive Director is the principal spokesperson for the organization and will travel extensively to represent NERACOOS locally, nationally, and occasionally internationally, and to provide regional leadership and guidance.
The Executive Director will work from the NERACOOS Offices in Portsmouth, NH.
- Maintain current and develop new collaborative partnerships with regional and national stakeholders, including government, private funding organizations, elected officials, agency staff, and scientists;
- Interface effectively with NERACOOS’ Board of Directors, staff, principal investigators, and regional/national partners; and
- Remain true to the spirit of the organization’s mission and values while implementing a strategic business plan to thoughtfully expand and diversify NERACOOS’ scope and funding.
The Executive Director is a leader with a history of effective relationship building. The successful candidate should have the following qualifications:
- An advanced degree in marine science, oceanography, public policy/administration, natural resources, or a related field and at least five years of management experience;
- Demonstrated competence leading an outcomes-based program or organization, including specific examples of operationalized strategies that have led to progressive organizational/program development;
- A general understanding of the environmental, economic, social and governmental landscape of the binational Northeastern region;
- Proven fundraising success including the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and generate revenue;
- Technical competency of ocean observing technologies, infrastructure, systems, and data management;
Company & Benefits:
The Northeastern Regional Association of Coastal Ocean Observing Systems provides oceanographic information to the Northeast region, a large, dynamic, environment, that stretches from the Gulf of Maine to Long Island Sound. People who work and play on the water, as well as those who live in coastal communities, depend on NERACOOS information and forecasts to make important decisions, such as when to bring oil tankers into port, where to go for the best surfing, and whether it is safe to go fishing. Scientists and meteorologists utilize NERACOOS data to better understand and predict storms, sea-level change, animal migrations, harmful algae blooms, and more. The information NERACOOS provides helps protect lives and property, empower coastal economies, and improve the health of our oceans.
The salary range for the Executive Director position is commensurate with experience. NERACOOS provides a competitive package of benefits to all eligible employees. Benefits include health insurance, health savings account, simplified employee pension, and paid leave.
Submit your CV, 1-page cover letter, and no more than a 2-page statement of qualifications as a PDF to EDSearch@neracoos.org. Please, no paper applications. The search committee will review applications on a rolling basis. Download a PDF of the job description.
NERACOOS is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.