Job Opportunity: Ocean and Coastal Acidifcation Web Manager and Collaboration Facilitator
Organization: Northeastern Regional Association for Coastal Ocean Observing Systems (NERACOOS)
Ocean and coastal acidification (OCA) is a complex problem with a variety of concerned stakeholders working to understand its progression, its impacts on marine life and human communities, and how to adapt to or mitigate expected changes. The ocean acidification community has recognized the value of a collaborative approach to addressing science, education, management, and policy responses to the issue, and a number of networks/working groups at a variety of geographic scales have developed to foster this approach. The ocean acidification community, from researchers and regulators to aquaculturists and resource managers, is hungry for a better way to share resources, access up-to-date information, and interact across disciplines and regions. To meet these needs, a collaboration website is being launched to foster such interactions. The heart of the website will be interactive, self-forming “teams” that use the website’s collaboration tools to focus on specific topics. These teams will share resources via the website and engage in online discussions, and team activities will serve as a way to enhance stakeholder interactions and to build well-informed communities on ocean acidification.
The OCA Web Manager and Collaboration Facilitator will be responsible for maintaining the content of the ocean acidification collaboration website. They will also be responsible for maintaining workspace tools used by collaboration teams to effectively coordinate activities and communicate domestically and internationally. The qualified candidate will ensure a current and attractive website that highlights activities and issues related to ocean acidification that are of interest to a range of stakeholders. S/he will also work to build the number of users of the collaboration website and to guide current users to fully utilize the website capacities. Administratively, the candidate will employ web-based tools to coordinate implementation team meetings, maintain a calendar of events, keep and maintain mailing lists, and manage documents through the website to ensure smooth and ongoing communication within and between collaboration teams. The OCA Web Manager and Collaboration Facilitator will be responsible for reporting on website activities to the community and general public through website content and other means.
The OCA Web Manager and Collaboration Facilitator will be an employee of the Northeastern Regional Association for Coastal Ocean Observing Systems (NERACOOS). NERACOOS is a non-profit organization that is one of eleven regional associations comprising the coastal component of the U.S. Integrated Ocean Observing Systems (IOOS). NERACOOS’ mission is to produce, integrate, and communicate high quality information that helps ensure safety, economic and environmental resilience, and sustainable use of the coastal ocean. It focuses on the waters from Long Island Sound to the Scotian Shelf, including the coastal waters of New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia.
NERACOOS’ activities throughout the region are diverse, but include leading the Northeast Coastal Acidification Network (NECAN), which represents a nexus of scientists, federal and state resource managers, and marine industry partners dedicated to coordinating and guiding regional observing, research, and modeling endeavors focused on ocean and coastal acidification. NECAN serves as an interface between research and industry interests and facilitates sharing of state-of-the-science information. The overarching goal is to better identify critical vulnerabilities to ocean and coastal acidification, particularly with respect to regionally important and economically significant marine resources. NECAN’s efforts make it possible for ocean and coastal acidification information resources and data products to be tailored to and informed by the interests of regional stakeholders and decision-makers. The OCA Web Manager and Collaboration Facilitator will also serve as the coordinator for NECAN.
The OCA Web Manager and Collaboration Facilitator will regularly interact with the members and staff of the national Interagency Working Group on Ocean Acidification (IWGOA), a group of Federal government officials that coordinates ocean acidification activities across the Federal government to fulfill the goals of the Federal Ocean Acidification Research and Monitoring Act of 2009.
Job Description: The OCA Web Manager and Collaboration Facilitator will work with the Executive Director, other NERACOOS and NECAN staff and partners, the IWGOA members and staff, and website development contractors to maintain and develop collaboration websites, grow the number of website users, and facilitate rich collaboration activities among website users.
Examples of tasks to be performed include:
- Maintaining the websites, including writing original material as needed
- Maintaining meeting schedules for all working groups, collaboration teams, and any subgroups
- Identifying success stories and translating those to public information on the website
- Informing participants and public via Social Media and newsletters
- Responding to information requests
- Identifying areas for cross-cutting activities and network building
- Providing support for collaboration teams’ outreach activities
- Initiating outreach activities such as workshops, town hall meetings, newsletters and public announcements of activities
- Informing NERACOOS staff, NECAN, IWGOA members and staff, and website steering committee about website activities and opportunities to enhance collaboration among network members verbally and via written reports
- Other activities as assigned
Position Location: The Web Manager and Collaboration Facilitator will be located at the NERACOOS office in Portsmouth, NH.
The successful candidate must have the following required expertise and skills:
- Be able to work within the framework of 1) a diverse, region-wide organization, 2) a network of experts distributed nationally or internationally, and 3) stakeholders with different needs distributed nationally or internationally.
- Be able to work effectively with NERACOOS’ Executive Director and professional staff and with the IWGOA members and staff to develop a range of materials for a web-based collaboration site.
- Have successful experience in a discipline that permits understanding of ocean acidification and its potential impacts and the ability to work across diverse sectors related to ocean acidification. A background in ocean and coastal acidification science and issues would be a benefit.
- Demonstrate excellent writing and communication skills; web design skills are a plus.
- Possess excellent verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrate ability to cultivate an issue-based, online network with diverse stakeholders and to engage in successful methods for establishing effective communication within the network.
- Have a willingness and ability to travel occasionally to attend workshops and organizational meetings.
- Basic knowledge of formatting content for website consumption is a plus. Introductory level of familiarity with HTML and CSS syntax is useful, but not required.
- Experience with maintaining web content via any content management system (such as WordPress) is useful, but not required.
The successful candidate must have the following qualifications:
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline, and/or equivalent professional experience
- A strong understanding of ocean or coastal issues, science, and/or policy
- Ability to work closely with a distributed network of colleagues
Compensation: Commensurate with experience. It is anticipated that this will be a full-time position with the initial timeframe of one year and may be extended depending on funding availability.
Application Date: By Friday, September 29, 2017 or until individual is identified.
To apply please submit:
- Cover letter addressing skills and qualifications
- Formal resume (not exceeding two pages, include any web links that demonstrate past work developing web content)
- Example/s of your writing/website content (the writing sample/s do not have to be specific to ocean acidification, but should demonstrate your ability to communicate succinctly about a project or topic to a broad audience), and
- Three professional references (name, title, address, email, and phone number)
Printed or emailed proposals and supporting information are acceptable. Emailed applications must be in PDF file format to email@example.com; put NERACOOS Web Manager and Collaboration Facilitator in subject line. FAXED proposals will not be accepted.
Attn: NERACOOS Web Manager and Collaboration Facilitator
Northeastern Regional Association of Coastal Ocean Observing Systems (NERACOOS)
195 New Hampshire Avenue, Suite 240
Portsmouth, NH 03801